Sunday 17 April 2011

Never Ending Winter

It is April 17, 2011 and it one week until Easter.  I have crocuses popping their little purple heads out of the soil... and it is snowing.  Not a little flake here or there but a full fledge snow storm.  Now, it only lasted about 10 minutes and then an hour later for another 10 minutes.  This process continued for most of the day.  I should be thinking about warm weather and gardening and where have I packed my raincoat – Not feeling as though I am stuck in a snow globe and someone keeps shaking it.
I have decided to make some big changes this summer.  I am selling my house, moving to Newfoundland and starting a new life there.   I am ready for this, but it seems that Mother Nature is keeping me from my summer plans.  I understand that it is a woman’s prerogative to change her mind but this is ridiculous.  It was 20 degrees last week and it is -2 today... is she going through menopause?
I have been met with some weird looks of late.  When I tell people that I am moving down East, their first response is ... I hope you like snow... or rain.  Well, folks, here in Barrie, Ontario, we had our first snowfall on October 22, 2010... That is 178 days or for those having a brain freeze, that is 5 months and 27 days. 
That is just shy of ½ of a year.  What happen to the four seasons? Please no snappy comments about “Walk like a man” or Vivaldi.   At least our four seasons of weather are easy to remember...Almost Winter...Winter...Still Winter...and...Is Winter Almost Over??  I think I am going to be able to handle the weather in St. John’s and after the year I have had, I think I can handle anything.


Antisthenes says that in a certain faraway land the cold is so intense that words freeze as soon as they are uttered, and after some time then thaw and become audible, so that words spoken in winter go unheard until the next summer.  ~Plutarch, Moralia

No comments:

Post a Comment