Tuesday 5 April 2011

Why did the chicken sit on a can of beer...?

I am trying to clear out my freezer and refrigerator for the Big Move.  This scavenging has lead to finding the 4 cans of Sleeman Cream Ale that has been my fridge since my Brother-in-Law was visiting at Christmas and me trying to figure out what to do with them.  I don’t drink... so the obvious was out.

Since I do not remember what I did before Goggle... off I went to the keeper of knowledge.  Typed in “Uses for Beer” and voila!!! More ideas than I know what to do with.  Maybe some beer battered fish and chips, beer bread, keep it for killing slugs, cure brown spots on my lawn... the list was endless.  The idea that caught my eye and piqued my curiosity was “Beer Can Chicken”
Now, I have seen this before and thought with my luck, it would tip over, catch on fire and leave me standing in the driveway explaining to the cute fireman why I thought sticking a can of beer up a chickens butt was a good idea.  But, what the hell... you only live once.
I made a rub for my freshly bought bird, a little garlic, onion and paprika.  Opened up my can of cream ale and stuck it up the little buggers arse.  What surprised me the most was just how easy this was.  What came out of the oven was the juiciest, most flavourful chicken I ever tasted.  Not only was the inside amazing, but the outside was tasty and crisp (all the way around the bird so twice as much skin... and we all know the skin is the best part).
What I didn’t realize was the unbelievable amount of recipes that exist for the “Beer Can Chicken”.  Not only with the rub, but added ingredients to the beer.  I even found a cookbook devoted the statuesque chicken.  There are also a myriad of devices to keep said bird from tipping over... and different sizes.
Hmmmm.... maybe the next Turkey day dinner... but is my oven high enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment