Thursday 24 March 2011

Boxed In

Packing... should be a four-letter word!  I am in the middle of hell and it’s made of corrugated cardboard.  You would think that taking the materialistic items of your life and wrapping them in newspaper would be easy, repetitive, but easy. 
Nope... there are rules!!
The shipping companies have their own little bible of packing....  you would think that people would have enough common sense not to need it.  But we all know that common sense is not all that common anymore.
I was delighted to learn that throwing my crystal glasses into a box is not the best way to ship them.  The glasses should be well cushioned with “clean” newspaper (not the stuff I wrapped the fish in from the market) and I should mark the box “fragile” since I don’t want the movers using it for hacky-sack practice.
Heavy items should be at the bottom of the box and lighter items at the top.  Good to know... don’t put the books on top of the crystal. 
This lovely pamphlet also says that professional packers can pack your house in a day....I would almost willing to pay to see this.  Not a chance, at least not my house.  I could spend a day just packing my scrapbooking stuff... actually, it took me three days.  It feels like I am trying to dig a hole in the sand... every time I pack a box, I turn around and the space has been filled up again.
So my days are spent packing and cleaning.  Can’t wait until I get into my new place, where I get to unpack and clean some more.  Now if someone could invent “cut” and “paste” for real life.

1 comment:

  1. Pack is a four letter word. You'll find some satisfaction in shouting "Where did I put the packing tape?!?

    I like the idea of cut and paste for real life. That would be handy. :)

    Good luck with the packing, and the eventual unpacking.

    ReplyDelete