Wednesday 8 February 2012

Always Put Off Until Tomorrow...

"Pick the day.  Enjoy it - to the hilt.  The day as it comes.  People as they come... The past, I think,  has helped me appreciate the present - and I don't want to spoil any of it by fretting about the future." Audrey Hepburn







There is laundry to be done.  There are boxes to be unpacked.  There are pictures to be hung. There is a house that calls to be spic'd and span'd.

You're getting the idea, right.

There are a million little (and big) things that need to done around the house, but there is a problem.  It is a beautiful day outside.  It's hovering around 0 degrees Celsius outside with a few little flurries floating out of the sky.  There is no wind and the ground is covered in a pristine coat of freshly fallen snow.  It is almost surreal.





I have to go for a walk in the park.  Bowring Park in St. John's, Newfoundland to be exact.  I do not have a choice, it is calling to me and there is not a chore in this house that cannot wait until another day.  Now, I have what some have called OCD lite... there are things in my home that need to be "just so", but some compulsions are stronger than others.  Today is such a day.


I noticed this "perfect day" compulsion early on in my first days here on the island.  I think it comes from the idea that there will be other days, less perfect days, downright miserable days that will be ideal for the mundane details of housework, laundry and unpacking.








How could I miss this...

No comments:

Post a Comment