Monday 12 September 2011

Car Emergency Kit

I have been driving for twenty-mumble mumble years.  My father gave me some valuable tips on what to always have in your car in case of emergency:

  • Basic safety kit - Booster Cables, Road Flares, Tire Jack...etc
  • Money - always have $20 in your car in case you run out of gas and always have change for the phone (this was before cell phones but still useful since batteries go dead)
  • CAA - I find this the most useful - let someone else come and change that flat!
  • Blanket, flashlight and granola bars... you never know how long CAA will take to get to you in a winter storm.
  • Water... to drink or add to your radiator
  • First Aid Kit - I am a nurse so really important since I have to stop at accidents... but you never know when I may be walking and need to use yours.
  • Really warm gloves, scarf and hat 
So this is what is in my car... I have added a few things over the years (like an overnight bag with a uniform, nightie and clean undies)... in case a snowstorm gets me stuck somewhere.

Well, I live in Newfoundland now and my kit has been expanded... but not the usual things you need for safety but what you need for fun.  So my new list includes:

  • Travel chair - you never know when you will see a concert or festival just begging for your attendance. A nice comfy chair makes the experience so much better.
  • Rain coat and sweater.. the weather can change in a heartbeat and you wouldn't want that invite to a beach bonfire to be wasted because you didn't bring something warm.

  • Sneakers or Hiking boots - some of the best views are off the beaten path. Why stand on the side of the road because you don't want to ruin those cute little sandals.





  • Rubber boots - for the reasons stated above, off the beaten path could be a little wet.
  • A Container - Off the beaten path (a place I seem to be spending a lot of time) sometimes has the best berries and you can only eat so many.






  • A Tarp - who knows what you will find to make your garden landscaping beautiful or that perfect something from a yard sale.






  • A last but definitely not least... A CAMERA.  No explanation needed.





Now, if I can find a space for passengers....


2 comments:

  1. Those are some great suggestions. A container is a must have this time of year. A lot of great berry spots, especially up the shore. :) I laughed at your chair idea, but it is a good one.

    Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great list! You know, I think this reflects the way you view things. Most people dread car emergencies (which is pretty understandable), and that’s why they prepare for the worst. But, it’s amazing that you included tools that you can use for fun. I bet this encouraged you to do some road tripping! :)

    ReplyDelete