Sunday 21 August 2011

Who Ownes Ya?

I am a CFA and I will probably always be a CFA.  It is not a bad thing, it is just what I am.  "Come From Away" is the term now and days... the old term (and still used) is Mainlander. To make matters worse, I am a Mainlander from Toronto.

I have learnt that is now part of my introduction.  I am no longer Kim.  I am Kim from the Mainland.  The Newfoundland expression "who ownes ya?" has been asked of me on a regular basis.  I have to give a mini family tree to establish my roots and my right to be here.  Just saying my last name lets them know that my family can be traced to the Southern Shore and goes back many generations.  My Mom's side is out by Trinity Bay and again the connection to the family and community is there.

Now, I want to be clear.  I have experience the best hospitality here.  No-one has every discriminated against me but there is always that little bit distance and even a bit of pity that appears when I start to talk and there is no accent.

I didn't realize there was  such a fuss regarding this until I came across an article from the Canada.com.  The Liberals want to legislate people to stop using the term.  I can see both sides but it depends on how the term is used.  It can be cruel and distancing or acknowledging and welcoming.  The article does make a good point... you cannot legislate people to forgo their everyday speech.

So call me a Mainlander, a CFA, and a Torontonian...but never, ever call me late for supper...


No comments:

Post a Comment